Mountain biking in Derby, Tasmania during the Autumn months can be a truly exhilarating experience. Nestled in the North-East of Tasmania, Derby is home to some of the most challenging and scenic mountain biking trails in the country.
One of the main attractions of Derby in Atumn is the Blue Derby Mountain Bike Trails, a network of over 100km of purpose-built single track that winds its way through the stunning Tasmanian wilderness. The trails vary in difficulty, from easy green trails for beginners to technical black diamond trails for the more experienced rider.
The cooler months in Derby can be quite chilly, with temperatures averaging around 10-15 degrees Celsius. However, the crisp air and clear blue skies make for perfect mountain biking weather. It's always a good idea to bring warm clothing and multiple layers to stay comfortable while out on the trails.
Let’s take a moment to appreciate the hero dirt in Derby. Hero dirt allows riders to ride at high speeds and maintain control over their bikes. The well-packed and smooth surface provides a stable riding surface, which can make it easier to perform technical maneuvers and tricks. Additionally, hero dirt typically has a lower level of impact on a rider's body, allowing them to ride for longer periods of time without experiencing fatigue. The consistent and predictable nature of hero dirt can also make it easier for riders to focus on their technique and performance, rather than having to constantly navigate loose and unpredictable terrain.
The combination of the perfect terrain and the stunning scenery make for a truly unforgettable experience.
One of the best things about mountain biking in Derby in Autumn is the lack of crowds. The summer months can get quite busy with visitors, but in the cooler months, you'll have the trails mostly to yourself.
If you're looking for a challenging and scenic mountain biking experience, Derby in Tasmania is a must-visit destination. The combination of the challenging terrain, stunning scenery, and lack of crowds make for a truly unforgettable experience. Just make sure to bring warm clothing and multiple layers to stay comfortable while out on the trails.
Keen to start planning? Here a 10 highlights for some inspiration:
- Shred the trails in Derby Mountain Bike Trails. Several businesses in Derby offer bike hire.
- Take the plunge at Floating Sauna Lake Derby for a truly exhilarating and unique experience.
- Sip on some bubbles along the Tamar Valley Wine Trail. The wine region in North East is world-renowned for its sparkling wine.
- With three iconic golf courses to choose from including Lost Farm, The Dunes and Bougle Run, you’ll soon see why Barnbougle is a every golfer’s dream destination.
- Stop for a snap at Little Blue Lake. This surreal looking phenomenon seems almost too good to be true!
- Crack open a beer at Little Rivers Brewing Co in Scottsdale or sip on a gin cocktail at Bridport Distilling Co. in Bridport.
- Lounge in the lavender at Bridestowe Lavender Estate.
- Venture just a little off the beaten track to discover the extraordinary Mount Paris Dam.
- Bask in the sun at Bridport or enjoy the sandy beaches, charming cafes and friendly locals.
- A visit to Tasmania’s newest MTB riding destination, George Town is a must. Featuring Tippogoree Hills — big rocks, bushy trees and erratic gravity.
Header Image credit: Jason Charles Hill