- So you've heard about this place called Derby and now you're about to see it for yourself! Departing from Launceston travel the scenic sideling route and arrive in Scottsdale in approximately 50 minutes. Pick up your morning brew from Ellesmere Patisserie and Providore in Scottsdale.
- Now this is where a little local knowledge doesn't go astray. Stop in at Two Doors Down Cafe to pick up some takeaway lunch on your way through town, leaving you even more time for the trails. If something more leisurely appeals, there are plenty of options to dine in while you're in town.
- Once you've caught your bearings kick start the epic day that lies ahead by taking a warm-up ride on the Lake Derby trail, the perfect opportunity to take a selfie at the odd lookout and spot some wildlife.
- Continue your pedal power by sampling some of the trails close to the township. Trails such as Rusty Crusty, Axehead, Sawtooth and Berms & Ferns are a good progression to the challenge that is up next.
- Find a sheltered position under a grand tree within the wilderness and crack open that perfectly packed picnic. It's time to gather all the energy you can muster.
- The local shuttle bus providers have your shuttle needs sorted, they will take you to Black Stump. You can buy a day pass or single sessions. For intermediate to advanced riders the triple treat of trails including Black Stump, Flickety Sticks, and Return to Sender offer variety and riding action like no other.
- Your flow will have you concluding at the trail head where no doubt you will be wiping off the sweat with a grin a mile wide.
- Choose to stay overnight at one of the many accommodation providers and do it all again in the morning, or leave Derby and your adrenalin behind as you head to Little Rivers Brewing Company in Scottsdale to relive the day's highlights over a craft beer before returning to Launceston.
- Let the locals take you on a guided adventure with Mountain Bike Tasmania and Vertigo MTB operating regular tours, or take on the trails independently. Whichever you choose, you are in store for rides you will relish.
- Bring your own bike, or if you need to hire one you can pick it up from one of the bike shops in town.
Explore the region
North East Tasmania is full of unique and wonderful experiences. From tantalising sparkling wine to stunning MTB & hiking trails, world-class golf, and of course the down to earth local charm. We look forward to welcoming you to Tasmania’s heart.
There are so many reasons to get out and explore.
Keen to start planning? Here a 10 highlights for some inspiration:
- Shred the trails in Derby Mountain Bike Trails. Several businesses in Derby offer bike hire.
- Take the plunge at Floating Sauna Lake Derby for a truly exhilarating and unique experience.
- Sip on some bubbles along the Tamar Valley Wine Trail. The wine region in North East is world-renowned for its sparkling wine.
- With three iconic golf courses to choose from including Lost Farm, The Dunes and Bougle Run, you’ll soon see why Barnbougle is a every golfer’s dream destination.
- Stop for a snap at Little Blue Lake. This surreal looking phenomenon seems almost too good to be true!
- Crack open a beer at Little Rivers Brewing Co in Scottsdale or sip on a gin cocktail at Bridport Distilling Co. in Bridport.
- Lounge in the lavender at Bridestowe Lavender Estate.
- Venture just a little off the beaten track to discover the extraordinary Mount Paris Dam.
- Bask in the sun at Bridport or enjoy the sandy beaches, charming cafes and friendly locals.
- A visit to Tasmania’s newest MTB riding destination, George Town is a must. Featuring Tippogoree Hills — big rocks, bushy trees and erratic gravity.
Featured within this itinerary
- Blue Derby Mountain Bike Trails
- Vertigo MTB
- Mountain Bike Tasmania
- Big Mountain Tasmania
- Blue Derby Pods Ride
- Blue Metal Cycling
- Floating Sauna Lake Derby
- The Hub - Pizza and Beer
- Tamar Valley Wine
- Barnbougle Lost Farm
- Little Blue Lake
- Little Rivers Brewing Co.
- Bridestowe Lavender Estate
- The Bridport Cafe
- Bridport Walking Track
- George Town MTB Trails